Graduate Contacts

For just about any issue you may be having, there is someone on campus who can help. Finding that person isn't always easy though. Here is a brief guide to some of the services available. If you don't find what you need, ask Angela for advice on where to look.


Graduate Studies

Other Campus Resources

Graduate Coordinator Knowledgable about department and campus rules: getting exceptions to Grad Studies requirements, how to navigate the campus bureaucracy, etc.; can help with office assignment issues; starts requests for PELP and filing fee status and has access to many forms.
Lenna Crabbe Charlesworth
MSO Expert on campus bureaucracy. Staff supervisor who can help with conflicts between students and staff.
Tracy Lade
Graduate Vice Chair Contact regarding academic matters including course requirements, exams, qualifier committees and also non-academic matters including department financial support for students, PELP approval, and filing fee status. Can add extra weight on exceptions for Grad Studies rules.
Rajiv Singh
Undergraduate Vice Chair Helps with complaints regarding TA assignments and supervision.
Lori Lubin
Chair The boss. Can overrule both the MSO and Vice Chairs.
Rena Zieve

Grad Studies
Student Affairs Officer Deals with dissertation approvals and can explain most Grad Studies rules.
Brad Wolf
Graduate Assistant to the Dean Serves as a liaison between graduate students and the administration; can convey student concerns, formally or informally, to the administration.
Associate Dean for Students Serves as a neutral sounding board for graduate students, and is knowledgeable about the procedures students must take to resolve their issues.
Ellen Hartigan-O'Connor
Dean The big boss: can approve exceptions to Grad Studies rules; is responsible for formal "disqualification" of graduate students, and decides on appeals from students who have been disqualified or have been warned that they are subject to disqualification; can hear appeals of department decisions and complaints about department policies (although usually as a last resort).
Jean-Pierre Delplanque
Graduate Council, Chair Sets policies on such issues as progress toward degree, employment standards, and fellowships; Administrative Committee hears appeals of disqualification.
Carlee Arnett

Counseling Services Provides free short-term counseling to registered students, and referrals for longer term counseling; offers emergency responses; has been very helpful for students with depression, anxiety, and other concerns.
Graduate Student Association General resource for grievance information and advice; provides limited free legal assistance.
Union for Academic Student Employees Represents TAs and readers on issues such as wages, benefits, workload, grievance procedures, and fair hiring processes (for example, complaints of excessive TA workload).
Mediation Services Provides voluntary, informal, and completely confidential mediation for conflicts involving faculty, staff, and graduate students; for significant conflicts, if both parties agree to mediation, this can be very effective.
Student Judicial Affairs Deals with charges of academic and personal misconduct by undergraduate and graduate students; hears grievances by students who suffer arbitrary treatment, discrimination or harassment based on prohibited bias.
Sexual Harassment Officer Deals with complaints of sexual harassment, and can help with other types of discrimination; anonymous complaints can be made to 2-2255.
Student Disability Center Provides services and ensures the provision of appropriate accommodations for disabled students. Note that to request such accommodations, a student must go through the SDC; faculty members are instructed that under no circumstances should they provide disability-related accommodations without such a letter.
Services for International Students and Scholars (SISS) The basic resource for issues involving international students (visas, employment issues, etc.).
Reentry Student Services Offers counseling and referrals to graduate students age 30 and over.
Services for International Students and Scholars (SISS) The basic resource for issues involving international students (visas, employment issues, etc.).
UC Davis Ombuds Office The UC Davis Ombuds Office is a confidential, independent, impartial, and informal problem-solving and conflict management resource for all members of the UC Davis campus community.