Deadline: Applications completed by January 15, 2022 will receive full review. The final application deadline is June 1, 2022, but after January 15 we review applications only if space remains available.
All materials should be received by the deadline.
Admission is for the Fall quarter only. We do not accept applications for the Winter or Spring quarters.
Information for Fall 2022 Admissions
The GRE will not be used in assessing applications for fall 2022, since not all applicants to our graduate program will have equal access to the GRE in the upcoming admissions cycle.
Admission Requirements for Fall 2022
The Online application includes the following mandatory items. Items not submitted through the online system will not be considered.
- Statement of Purpose
- Personal History Statement
- 3 letters of recommendation (additional letters not allowed)
- TOEFL scores - International applicants only
- Transcripts from each institution you listed in your application - You will be instructed to upload scanned copies of your transcripts after you have submitted your online application. For more details visit https://gradstudies.ucdavis.edu/submit-transcripts.
- $120 fee for U.S. Applicants and $140 USD fee for International Applicants. UC Davis Graduate Studies offers application fee waivers only to applicants who have participated in or are affiliated with one or more of the following programs: https://grad.ucdavis.edu/prospective-students/admissions-application/steps-applying#GradPrepProgs Applicants who are affiliated with these programs are required to indicate their participation AND must provide a name and contact information for their program coordinator in the relevant section of the online application system to receive an application fee waiver
If your application is missing any of the required application materials, we will not be allowed to recommend admission and your application will be canceled.
Supplemental materials such as curriculum vitae, resume and/or writing sample are neither required nor accepted. Applicants will not be allowed to upload these materials as part of the application, and they will not be reviewed if they are mailed to the department.
The fellowship application must be completed and submitted electronically along with the university application for admission. We strongly recommend applicants complete the fellowship application.
The fellowship application deadline is Jan. 15th, 2022.
The minimum cumulative GPA required for admission to graduate study at the University of California, Davis is 3.0 on a 4.0 point scale. Students coming from universities where a GPA is not calculated are evaluated using other aspects of their file and letters bearing on class performance when available. The average GPA for students admitted into the program is 3.7.
For Fall 2022, we will not use the GRE scores in assessing applications.
All international students who do not speak English as their first language, or who have not studied at an institution where English is the language of instruction, must submit an official TOEFL or IELTS score from the past two years. The university requires a minimum score of 80 (internet based TOEFL), 550 (paper TOEFL), or 7 (IELTS).
Upon arrival at the university, international students with TOEFL scores below 105 or IELTS scores of 7 may be required to complete an English proficiency examination, and as a result of this exam may be required to take additional courses in the English language.
To serve as a Teaching Assistant (TA), all students who are not US citizens must have a TOEFL speaking subscore of at least 26 or an iBT score of at least 8, or must pass one of two exams administered at UC Davis, SPEAK and TOEP. These exams may be taken upon arrival in Davis, in the weeks just before the fall quarter begins. First-year graduate students usually have TA positions. Since funding first-year students through other means is possible but more complicated, we give some admissions preference to students with TOEFL speaking subscore of at least 22, who are likely to pass the TOEP exam.
Physics Graduate Program
Department of Physics
University of California
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616-8677
For more information about the university graduate requirements, services, and the on-line application, please visit Graduate Studies.